When you arrive Siena, you will understand why there is a colour named “Siena”.
- CITY TAG – SIENA
- Where: Middle-West Italy, Tuscany Region.
- Time Zone: GMT +2
- Language: Italian, Siena is a university city so almost everyone can speak English however, if you leave to the outside of the city walls, you should learn some basic Italians.
- Currency: Euro
- Religion: Catholics-Christian
HOW TO GET SIENA?
There is an airport at Siena but there is no daily international flight. So my advice you to come to Italy by plane to Rome or Florence first and then rent a car to drive to Siena. It takes 2h 45min. approximately between Roma and Siena. It takes almost 1.5hours between Florence and Siena. I always prefer to rent a car because your route directly passes through the heart of Tuscany. These driving hours is valid if you drive without stopping. But you will see a lot of small towns between the two cities or you will want to stop to take plenty of photos of beautiful houses with large gardens, vast vineyards and cedar trees that you see in the hills and slopes.
WHAT TO DO IN SIENA?
As you guess,you can take lots of photograph. However, you can find museums, cathedrals, small streets which are impossible to lost and all of them open to Piazza del Campo. Surely, couple of hours are enough to see all of them.
SIENA SIGHTSEEING LIST
- Palio Races (It has been held on every 07 July and 16 August. The important one is at 16 August.)
- Piazza del Campo (Mussel Shell shaped and inslope square)
- Duomo di Siena, Mangia Tower, Palazzo Pubblico, Fonte Gaia (all of them are at the Piazza del Campo)
- The Basilica of San Francesco (There is beautiful fresks inside)
- Palazzo Salimbei (A palace built by one of the wealthy merchant families of the period. Since the city is very small, you cannot see it when you go, but it is not a building that I personally like.)
- Pinacotea Nazionale (National Museum)
- San Gimignano and Chianti: Wine testing and Medieval-Middle Age Town. You should read the Tuscany Wine and Sightseeing Route article for the details.
HOW MANY HOURS OR DAYS FOR SIENA? DOES IT WORTH TO VISIT SIENA?
However, i recommend you to come Siena in summer and also if you have limited time you can spend 1 night with 1.5 day in Siena. Siena is one of my favorite 5 list in all Italy. Because of this reason, personally i can spend 2-3 days, every season in Siena. You can only see top places for Siena if you spend 1, 1.5 day or a couple of hours, as a tourist. If you stay more, you can lay down with a cold beer at the mussel shell shaped piazza or you can find small local restaurants that are run by families that we can call artisan restaurants by walking at the small streets. Or you can spend a couple of hours at the small local bars and there are only 2, 3…
GOLDEN TRIANGLE IN TUSCANY: SAN GIMIGNANO, SIENA AND CHIANTI
If you do not want to stay in Siena, you can also visit San Gimignano and Chianti, close around for wine tasting or sight seeing. Although it is more colorful in spring and summer with yellow-green under the blue sky, it is also nice to go in winter. If you are one of those who love to watch horror movies, especially if you like movies in the Middle Ages, witches and monsters, you will feel like on a horror movie set, especially in San Gimignano. For more detailed information about this region, you can take a look at my Tuscany Wine and Sightseeing Route article.
SIENNA: A COLOUR
Did you notice the difference on the word of Siena or Sienna? The city name is Siena but the colour name is Sienna with the double N, different from the Siena. The colour Sienna name based on (Italian) “terra di Siena” which means Siena Earth. Sienna has known as reddish Brown,generally however it includes much more one colour, like golden-reddish brown tonnes, some orange, yellow, gold and red tonnes also.. Think about the earth and imagine the colours. These scale means Sienna.
You can find the all Sienna palette in one painting, by Rembrant – Selfportrait. He did a self portrait using only Sieanna colours.